17 Apr 2024

And Then Another Ban…

   And this is a tricky one but a favourite. Smoking of course.
   Wot’ve we got now? Age limit on alcohol, gaming smoking, driving and I’m sure a phew others I’ve forgotten. Now smoking will be banned for those born after a certain date. I see many folk are celebrating this new ‘law’ and none more than the hooks, crooks and comic singers amongst us. Also in the pipeline, I understand, is a ban on drivers below a certain age not to be allowed to carry passengers.
   Two things crawl into this old thing wot’s supported by my neck. How will they recoup the huge tax loss that’s generated by tobacco? You don’t need a brain to figure that one. Wrong age to smoke? Okay, I’ll try that vaping thingy. Damn! Will you look at the tax on that kit and the liquid. Whoa, that’s expensive, but...
   Number two? How will this smoking and driving and other age/generational related banns be policed? Well, it all leads me to suspect that an ulterior motive is afoot. Yup, just down the road away is the introduction of mandatory digital ID cards. Hay, y’all thought the youthful banns were a good idea, right? So how can you object to ‘our’ way of policing it eh? Gotcha!

Quote; Tapan Ghosh.

“Banning something is the easiest way to make it desirable.”

2 comments:

Andy5759 said...

I can only go by my own reactions to nagging and that's continuing to do that which I'm being nagged at to stop doing. Maybe it's a male thing, being nagged at made us evolve into heels dug in refuseniks. Until the nagging started on smoking I was seriously considering quitting. Even now I feel a twinge of guilt for betraying a childhood vow when I wash behind my ears.

So therefore nagging has the opposite effect to that desired, unless that is the intention. If there is a desire to shorten lives so not too many people survive to become useless eaters nagging is a potent weapon.

Interesting that scolds and nags are damned to occupy the third circle of hell. That is precisely where they should be and the sooner the better.

Mac said...

Andy5759,
So true regards nagging and being told you can't do something. What does that do to an adventurous young mind? Man, I need to try that.
Back in the day - and I'm sure there are such shops now - there was a small shop down wot was affectionately known as Fag Ally, close to the school lunch hall, that sold separate cigs at 2 old pence a piece. 1 & a half penny for a Park Drive. No questions. No money? Sell your pudding to the fat kid for 2 old pennies; easy...