18 Jul 2020

And Then Possibly English...

While utilizing the car to transport my little nest of vipers to her lottery ticket vending establishment of choice, the radio was tuned into a young folks music station. In between a pair of songs, there was an interview with wot I’m guessing was a twenty something young lady. Wot the young lady – and I do apologise if she was identifying as a squirrel at the time – did, I don’t know but I’m guessing something in showbiz; a singer or some such.

Anyhoo, wot I heard was this young lady telling her audience how, as a twelve year old, she suffered mental problems such as anxiety attacks and severe depression which she’s never fully recovered from. And the cause of this? When she was twelve she was  constantly being asked, by every adult she met, wot she wanted to do when she grew up. Who knew being asked a question like that could drive you close to nuts.

As close as my old brain remembers, her above answer went something along these lines.
”I, like, started to get, like, depressed because all, like, grownups would ask me what I, like, wanted to be when I, like, grew up and I would answer that I, like, didn’t know ‘cause I’m only, like, twelve.”
From that and other riveting ‘interviews’ I’ve had the privilege of watching during house arrest, thanks to Look-At-Media, it seems that the ‘like’ word is the word of choice for anyone under thirty{?} but, it seems, rarely, if ever used in any context.

From that I guessed the young lady didn’t get many tough questions regarding the English language asked of her during her voyage through, like, childhood. Sad as it may seem, it drives this old fellow, like, nuts.

In other news I see that tussle haired scamp has stated that everything should be back to normal by December; with the new restrictions on the old normal remaining in place. But that’s only common sense...

            

Quote;  Baltasar Gracián.

“A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the other one.”

No comments: