27 Feb 2020

And Then A New Pal...

Well, so, yesterday my little nest of vipers decided, it being sunny, to do a little garden prep ready for the coming spring into summer. never mind the fact that it was bitterly, biting cold with nary a hint of this global warming to be felt. No problem as I was just on standby and clean-up duties. You know, the hard dirty bit.

Anyhoo, I popped outside to see wot progress was like when I had yet another close encounter of the  St Francis On-a-Seesaw kind when a fluttering caused me to glance to my left and just over there was a robin sitting on the fence. I just looked and it just sat there so I moved a tad closer. This brought total stillness to my red breasted pal and I found myself staring into two little black eyes.

the little guy was now totally still and staring unblinking at me so I moved slowly closer and eventually my head was less than a foot from my new bestest ever friend. Please note, to clarify the above sentence, my head remained firmly attached to the rest of me during the whole period of this encounter of the ornithological kind.

So there we were, in complete stillness, head to head, eye to unblinking eye and as time passed by I had to wonder wot was going through the little guy’s head; probably wondering wot was going through my head. Who was it? Wot was the message it’d tried to subliminally pass on to me, unaware that my old head has a problem with bliminal messages never mind those of the subliminal type.

After about four minutes of this unmoving, unblinking eyeball to eyeball contact I was distracted momentarily and broke eye contact and when I turned back my pal had gone and I was left with the the spooky sensation that I’d just had some sort of a paranormal experience. Everything happens for a reason, right? Man, that was weird. Was there a message?

Quote;  Ted Rall.

“When you have birds you stare at them a lot and their eyes are recessed on their head. When they look at something they tilt their head in a quizzical expression.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The message was: Can I have some food please?
Next time be prepared. When you go out next take a few small pieces of food (I use broken up cat biscuits), hold your hand out at arms length and robin will hop onto your hand. With patience and perseverance as the days go by this can become an everyday thing. Good luck.
Know what you mean about the spooky feeling.

Rick

Mac said...

Anonymous Rick,
Point taken and I'll give it a go next time I see my pal. However, if he does hop onto my hand, ignores the food and just keeps trying to stare me out, I'll be in a whole new world of spooky...