25 Jan 2019

And Then A Foxy Problem...

For the past little while I’ve encountered a ‘problem’ with Firefox and Windows 10. Okay, no big surprise there and as someone once said, ‘Failure isn’t an option; it comes bundled with Windows’ and the problem was no big deal.

And the problem was? Well, on the desktop machine, when I done start the computer, Firefox would start up as well. Like I said, no biggy but my inquisitive pea brain just wondered why? I did the usual searches to no avail as it sure isn’t listed as a start-up item.

Wot I did yesterday, just after closing Firefox and just before shutting down the computer, was to open the Task Manager and guess wot? Firefox was shown as running. I was about to do the clicky thingy to stop the process when it shut down itself. Next morning Windows started without Firefox thus I came to the conclusion that, owing to the slow shutdown of Firefox, if I want to shut down the computer without Firefox slowing down the next start-up process, I need to close Firefox and give it a minute to die in the background before shutting the computer down. 

Slow Firefox shutdown may have something to do with the desktop machine being cheap and of very low RAM as  it’s a machine used for only a couple of hours a day as I’m an early riser and it’s good to sit at a desk with a big monitor for old eyes and lots of coffee.

Slow? Depends on your definition of slow I guess which could also be defined differently by different age groups.  Dial-up anyone? Or before even that when communication was via letter or a walk to the nearest phone box. For very quick communications, there used to be – still are? - telegrams and you know wot? I honestly can’t remember anything back then being of sufficient importance to warrant the sending or receiving of a telegram. Yet in these, I want it and I want it now!! times, everything is/has to be{?} instant... and oh how quickly us old folk forget and come to expect it to be thus.

Quote;  Max Frisch

"Technology… the knack of so arranging the world that we don't have to experience it."

No comments: