31 Jul 2018

And Then A Donation...

Several moons ago, upon retirement, I had a little money to find a home for, a home that would earn interest. Yeah, I know.

Anyhoo, I done did find an online account with a building society that paid a tad plus above base rate so opened an account electing for the interest to be paid monthly to another bank wherein resided a working, day-to-day account.

This has worked seamlessly for a long time but, suddenly, the interest didn’t show up in the working account at the usual time. To interrupt a moment, next day it was there but before that, I logged into the building society site and sure enough the interest was showing in the out column dated a couple of days before.

However, what caught my eye was another figure in the ‘out’ column of just below a pound. Whoa, what be this then? On a closer look, it was labelled as a  Charitable Donation. Wot to do? Stand back in amazement and do a little research.

You know wot? In their terms, unless you opt out, they take the pennies of any interest and donate it to a host of charities. Well thank you very big for that. Okay, it’s buttons but they be my buttons and over time, enough buttons to secure a shirt and jacket.

I’m  quietly confident that I would have opted out when opening the account and as it’s just started it could be an error on their part. Most likely as I’m happy to report that one E-mail resulted in a credit and an end to me funding, however minimally, Sexual Predators International.

Just shows that you really do have to keep looking over your shoulder.

Quote;  Bertolt Brecht.

“It is easier to rob by setting up a bank than by holding up a bank clerk.”

No comments: