6 Jul 2016

And Then A Report...

It’s out then. I have to admit I thought Chilcot was a chalk escarpment way down south and a bit east of the country and have to confess that my full understanding of the report is on a par with my grasp of geographical names.

Basically we’ve waited seven years to learn from a report that cost a fortune to produce what us down here have known for the past thirteen years at no monetary expense.

While in the car I caught a bit of a choked-up ‘apologetic’ Blair on the radio and found it stomach churning. Time for the legal eagles to get stuck in now as, as I understand it, the war has pretty much been decreed to have been unlawful or illegal. And, at the risk of repeating myself, we all know the difference between unlawful and illegal don’t we? Unlawful is to do something that’s against the law and illegal is a sick bird.

Of the media reporting frenzy, my favourite bit, by a mile, was on TV when a breathless BBC reporter, standing, as usual, in a street outside a big building, stated how the report was damning, or some such, to both Tony Bush and George Blair. A little bit of BBC magic.

On a final note, if I hear ‘lessons have been learned’ one more time, I fear my head will cave in.

Quote;  Krzysztof Kieslowski.

“The television industry doesn't like to see the complexity of the world. It prefers simple reporting, with simple ideas: this is white, that's black; this is good, that's bad.”

No comments: