17 Jun 2016

And Then, Shiny Stuff...

There I wuzz, just a-sittin’ an’ a-thinkin’ an’ then decided I wanted a new tablet. You’re probably wondering - why? As, indeed, am I.

”I do believe I’ll buy a new, bigger, better tablet.”
I said this then sat well back and waited for the ‘BOOM’.  This, as expected, came pretty soon.
”You nuts? You have laptop, desktop and tablet already. Don’t need no more.”
Actually, what she said was, “...You have taptob, decktob and tabred...”

I explained, from a safe distance and a little bending of the truth, that this little Nexus is getting too small for my old eyes; but I knew I was on a hiding to nothing.

After a moments planned silence I went in with my cunning plan, a plan that never fails it’s so cunning.
”That’s a shame because what I thought I’d do is I’d buy a bigger tablet and whatever it cost I was going to give you double the price to treat yourself.”

Unsurprisingly, in a blink of an eye, I found myself shaved, showered, polished tip to toe, fully booted and spurred and in the car heading for the store.

Later, with new shiny stuff to hand, I’m doing that setup thingy we all enjoy. Remember the hours you’ve spent aimlessly rearranging icons? Oh yes you do!! What could be nicer on a cold, wet winters afternoon? Say what? It’s summer? Where I be, when I look through the oblong window, it’s definitely November. Bloody global cooling.

The little Nexus will still be my library but this new fellow will be ideal for a sofa loafer such as I for browsing Blogs and the WWW. As a point of interest, and as I may have mentioned before, did you know that the abbreviation for World Wide Web, WWW, takes longer to say than saying World Wide web? How fascinating is that then?

Anyhoo, it’s always worth remembering that, at the end of the game, the boy with the most toys wins.

Tomorrow it’s her turn and I’ll be dragged along to nod in the affirmative at all the right times. Lord, let my timing be right.

Quote;  Douglas Adams.

“First we thought the PC was a calculator. Then we found out how to turn numbers into letters with ASCII — and we thought it was a typewriter. Then we discovered graphics, and we thought it was a television. With the World Wide Web, we've realized it's a brochure.”

No comments: