4 Jan 2016

And Then A Culinary Delight....

To kick-off tonight, I noted a couple of interesting items ‘out there’. The first was at The View From Cullingworth from which this taster is copied with all the appropriate apologies and thanks to the author;

“Drinking, smoking, vaping, one-armed bandits, betting shops, burgers, fried chicken, over the top Christmas lights, paved front gardens, outdoor drinking, fizzy drinks, chocolate treats in the kids' lunch boxes, sugar pourers on the cafe table, salt, cheap chicken, bacon sarnies, cream, best butter, standing outside for a fag...there seems to be no end to the disapproval - nearly always of working class things - from the nannying fussbuckets, greeny-greeny nutters and know-all 'experts'.”

The second item to catch my eye left me feeling a tad depressed. Entertaining the fellows while they’re waiting to get over here to take over? These clowns deserve to be well up on that top ten list of folk we’d never tire of punching in the puss.

Right, now for tonight. How about a post of a gastronomic nature? No? How about a post about food then? Okay.

The other day we were/where rambling around the countryside... oh, please, give your head a shake; we rambled hither and thither in the car, okay? and as we meandered we perchanced to spot, on the fringes of a pretty little village, one of they farm food shops. No, not the freezer chain store but you know the type I mean. They sell food allegedly produced by local people using local produce and thus feel justified in marking it up 25% above comparative prices for the same kit in supermarkets.

We stopped for a look and along the chilled counter I spyed they had a selection of meat pies with a sign proclaiming the makers of said pies were purveyors of fine meats and pies. So far, sounds good.

I got me a pie in which, according to the labelling, the steak had been marinated in port. Sounds yet better eh? However, upon partaking in the pie last night, I’m guessing that the ‘marinated in port’ part was a play on words as, going by my taste buds, the marinating process didn’t take place in port wine but rather the clowney cloudy waters of the Port of Dunkirk. Man, he wuz as grim a pie as ever I did have.

Yet again I proved to myself that there’s no fool like an old fool who finds four pounds fifty in his hipper while in a hip shop.

Quote;  W. C. Fields.

"I always cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food."

             Tom Smothers.

"Red meat is not bad for you. Now, blue-green meat - that’s bad for you!"

            Calvin Trillin.

"The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for 30 years she served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been found.”

No comments: