5 Nov 2015

And Then An Appointment….

Check-up day at the dentists today.

I don't know about you but when I have an appointment anywhere I present myself at reception, state my name and the appointment time. Today I thought I'd try a little play on that formal salutation.

"Hi" said the young reception lady forcing a smile upon having to look up from her smartphone.
"Hello." I responded. I then continued in an almost formally normal manner. "Foggy, two forty-five. A strange name I know but that was the time I was born and my parents, being devoid of any imagination, just used my birth time as my first name. Weird eh? Please, just call me two. Most people do."

Her response to this wasn't the expected laugh or smile but the blankest look I've ever seen in my long life. So blank was the blank look I was tempted to suggest to her she should seriously consider entering politics. I refrained in case she took up the challenge.

Quote;  Ann Landers.

“Blessed are they who hold lively conversations with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called dentists.”

No comments: