21 Feb 2015

And Then The Bears Are Fine….

…. just fine. I mentioned the other day that the bear begging TV advert has made a come-back, then I ran into, via Watts Up With That, a new{?} place.

Please, if you can 'bear' to, check this WWF advert out and then compare that scary scenario to the information contained on this site.  Also over Here.

As hard as this may be for you to believe, all this got me – are you ready? – thinking…

The question I asked me to think about was; what makes some people believe, without question, the video and quickly part with their money? Then I thought, of course you could reverse the argument for those who run into the other sites first and take that as gospel.

What makes some other people, whichever site they hit first, question that sites 'facts' and search for explanations or alternative ideas? How many believe the first site they hit, find an alternative narrative and 'convert'? I would guess there are very few who are swayed from their original beliefs.

As an example, there are very many fellows out there who worship the ground Ed Davey stands on. However, I put myself amongst those who worship the ground he's going to. This has the knock-on effect that if you come down on the side that thinks young Ed's as mad as a sack o' cats, what conclusion must you come to regarding the fine judgement of those up the ladder who put him into his position? And no amount of, 'Well, I think….' will sway me. Right or wrong.

Where does the truth lie in all these 'for and against' 'like and dislike' type arguments? Somewhere in the middle? Does it matter? I will never be convinced that man is responsible for the climate and I know, for sure, that the sandal wearing old hippy over there will never be convinced that man isn't responsible for the climate. {See wot I done did there? I typecast the believer. Why?}

So, is the side you take on the climate debate and other such arguments, irrespective of the 'facts' for or against, all down to our personal in-built, inherited, or preordained  belief systems? As for me, well, it's not often I'm right and I'm probably wrong again.

Let's just sum that all up.

Quote;  Lemony Snicket.

“It is very unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right.”

No comments: