19 Mar 2013

And Then, A Poor Return….

A couple of mornings ago, very early morning, I was attempting to read the news, despite not being fully coffee charged, and two numbers popped out at me in a banking story. 6% plus and 9% plus. Now that, I thought to my sleepy, uncharged self, are pretty damn good interest rates!! With excitement mounting, and after swallowing a couple of coffees to kick start the brain, stalling and restarting, I checked the numbers with more care.

Riiight. With a clear head, as clear as it gets at my age, it quickly became apparent that it wasn’t quite what I expected. Seems if I was to pop in the front door of a Cypriot bank and give ‘em some money to take care of, the politicos will pop in the back door and steal a chunk at a rate between 6 and 10%. Hell of a deal!! 

If nothing else, they’re being ‘up-front’ about the mugging. Over here we have similar thievery well hidden in financial ‘double speak’.

Various folk in authority throughout the world may well be expressing various levels of outrage at this theft, but you can bet your last Dollar, assuming you got it out of the bank in time, they’re secretly salivating and wetting their pants at the prospects this presents should those guys over there get away with this thievery. 

As Ronald Reagan famously said, the nine most terrifying words in the English language are; ‘I’m from the government and I’m here to help.’  In light of the current shenanigans in our politicians beloved EU and poor little Cyprus, that phrase should probably be modified somewhat to, ‘I’m from the government and I’m here to help myself. To anything I want.’

Tell you what, if, I repeat IF, I was a house-breaker of some experience, I’d be watching the news with interest and should there be the slightest hint of a run on the banks in Cyprus, I’d be booking an extended holiday in the sun. A working holiday.
 
Hang on a pocket pickin' minute.  Didn't some guy say the other day that old folk should re-educate themselves so they can keep on working?  What's the chance the local technical college is offering night classes in burglary?  No?  Oh well…..

Quote; Woody Allen.

“If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name at a Swiss bank.”

No comments: