18 Dec 2011

And Then I was Told It Was Cold.

It's been seasonally cold round my way for the past many days. Happily, although I be old, I've managed to figure this out for myself and have also grown up fully understanding the concept of clothing used in layers dependant on temperature.

I managed to figure all this stuff out, while a pup, without media help, public safety advice, inclement weather warnings, that I see are helpfully colour coded, and those annoying traffic announcements continually telling me to be alert. What's a Lert then? See? Now that would be helpful information. Hard to be a Lert if you don't know what a Lert is. I did try Google.... (n) A small furry woodland creature with senses that are always very intensely attuned to its surroundings.

Anyhoo, it's still gratifying to know the media is on hand to inform the less savvy folk out there when it's cold and give their oft repeated warning that, if you're going out, you should wrap up warm. I'm truly amazed the Huhnatic hasn't been on TV telling the old and infirm that, if they're staying in, they should wrap up warm.

A country that built an empire now needs to be told when it's cold? I guarantee the old don’t need to be told when it's cold. Or is it just the media that thinks we need to be told when it's cold, when, in fact, folk still know when it's cold without being told. Which is it then? These days, I'm honestly not sure.

I also wonder if the Huhnatic has noticed, yet again, the spooky correlation between extremely cold days and the eerie lack of that windmill turning watch-a-ma call it stuff, wind. Seems to work that way up my way anyway.

Before I be gone, if you haven't already, get over to The Slog and read a great article regarding the old and the new.

Quote; Kelvin Throop III.

“Isn't it interesting that the same people who laugh at science fiction listen to weather forecasts and economists?”

Diane Frolov & Andrew Schneider.

“Time for the weather report. It's cold out folks. Bone-crushing cold. The kind of cold which will wrench the spirit out of a young man, or forge it into steel.”

No comments: