8 Mar 2011

And Then There Was A Prayer….

Before breakfast, my brain was browsing a book when my eyes bumped into the bitty below. It’s by that old favourite Mr. Anonymous and was, my book says, printed in the Daily Telegraph. Many years ago. Actually my book didn’t say that. I had to read it, understand it and then I could say it. If I wanted to. But I didn’t. I was all on my own and by myself at the time and the last thing I need right now is to be talking to myself.

Hope you enjoy it; it made me smile. We’ve all had dealings, if ‘dealings’ is the right word, with ‘em have we not?

A Civil Servants Prayer.

O Thou who sees all things below,
Grant that Thy servants may go slow,
That they may study to comply
With regulations 'till they die.

Teach us, O Lord, to reverence
Committees more than common sense;
To train our minds to make no plan
And pass the baby when we can.

So when the tempter seeks to give
Us feelings of initiative,
Or when alone we go too far,
Chastise us with a circular.

Mid war and tumult, fire and storms,
Give us strength, O Lord, to hand out forms.
Thus may Thy servants ever be
A flock of perfect sheep for Thee.

You may also find this interesting. One small step?


Quote; The Northcote Trevelyan Report, 1853.

Admission into the Civil Service is indeed eagerly sought after, but it is for the unambitious, and the indolent or incapable, that it is chiefly desired.

No comments: