30 Aug 2007

And Then There Was Computer Fun......

I re-formatted my hard drive, well, the computers hard drive actually, and re-installed that Windows XP stuff. Back up all the stuff I needed? A bit like this I found - later - 'Real men don't do computer backups, they just cry.'

And that was about all the fun I could stand that week. Why not Vista do I hear you gasping? Because it costs too much and XP gives me all the problems I need right now. And the software I use probably wouldn't run on the Vistary thingy anyway. {Come to think of it, DOS just about covered it for me.}

Actually it all went pretty averagely with about 2 hours worth of 'Press any key to continue... no, no, no, NOT THAT ONE!' and of course, 'Smash forehead on keyboard to continue.'

But it's the stupid things that make it so much fun don't you find? Like when it's all over and you discover the key on the keyboard that should, and indeed used to do a @ now does a " and the " key does a @. Simple to put right you would think, but so bloody hard to dig through all the menus, sub-menus, sub-sub-menus to find the answer; which, when you get there, is so mind rottingly sodding simple. Yes? No. There's always one more move required which is further hidden away in a completely different direction just to finally twist you off. In fact I believe sorting the @ and " problem took a tad longer than installing Windows.

Oh, and the speakers don't work so you spend much time on the drivery stuff; re-installing, up-dating and all the other driver stuff Web pages tell you to do. All with no success. As a last, hair tearing resort you pull all the wiring out of all the sockets of the speakers, woofer and computer, then push them all back in - in exactly the same places you just pulled them all out and, sod me, there you go then!! You have sound. Why? Well? Why? I mean, why? No, but really, why?

And why will the computer 'see' everything I stick into the USB holes - except just the one thing - so don't get me started on the Zen V MP3 player........................ A look round the Web shows I'm not alone with this little mystery. But find a fix? Not a chance.

Quote -

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

No comments: