15 Jan 2023

And Then, It Gets Harder...

   And that would be? Why going out or going to bed of course. How can that be hard? Read on as it’s quite possible you’ll relate or your turn will come.
   Not long ago, leaving the house for shopping or whatever, was straightforward. Coats on, get car key, lock the door and off we went. But with age{?} this simple routine has become quite complex for me.
   Okay says my little nest of vipers, let’s go. Okay says I but first I’ll confirm the backdoor’s locked – of course it is, we haven’t opened it since we awoke. Ensure nothing is on in the kitchen and turned off at the plug, fridge and freezer doors tight closed, turn off the modem, turn off the televisual receiving unit and satellite box, no standby nonsense,   check nothing is charging, turn off tablet to guard against instantaneous combustion – hay, who knows? Wallet in pocket? Check - again. Did I check the back door? Think so but just in case. Was everything off in the kitchen? Just another quick look. Lock front door, with us on the outside, put key in pocket. Check wallet still there, get in car and check door key is still in pocket. Cool, let’s go. Oh, did I turn off the computer? Did I even turn on the computer? Better go back in to check. Better triple check the back door and kitchen gadgets while I’m here. Strange, nothing’s changed.
   A close repeat at bed time. Just add a look out the window to ensure the car wing mirrors are tucked-in thus signifying the car’s locked.
   Let’s not get into the number of times I check my plastic is tucked back in my wallet after a trip to an ATM...
   So the simple task of leaving the house has become an almost five minute walk-round. Could be I’ll soon need a printed check - tick list.
   Man, old age sure is time consuming which is a tad sad as it’s time wot’s running out...

Quote;  Steve Maraboli

“Rename your ‘To-Do’ list to your ‘Opportunities’ list. Each day is a treasure chest filled with limitless opportunities; take joy in checking many off your list.”

           Patti Digh.

“Sometimes our stop-doing list needs to be bigger than our to-do list.”

4 comments:

A K Haart said...

Here's one of mine just after locking the front door.

Am I still wearing my slippers?

Mac said...

A K Haart,
Hah! How did I forget that one... Oh, right.
Wait a minute, is my fly zipped up?

Anonymous said...

Leaving the house for shopping or whatever: draw the downstairs curtains at the back of the house (in case prowlers see your vast collection of techno goodies)

Rick

Mac said...

Rick,
Good idea. Damn, where's that list...
Was it cold early AM in bed? Did we turn the leky blanket on?
Did I turn it off when I made the bed?
That one only enters your head when your a mile down the road.