19 Sept 2022

And Then, Bu-By...

   Well, so, that is it then, the end of ten days of mourning. Wot comes next? Ten days of afternoon? Say wot now? Oh. It must also be the end of the media, for twenty four hours a day, poking a camera and microphone into folks faces wot are queuing to walk past a box. Will it now be today on constant repeat for days and days? And yet more days?
   Am I being naughty during such a solemn occasion? It’s the passing of an old lady who served this country well for a long time but during all that time she ever featured in my life in any way, shape or form and I’m quietly confident in typing that I also never done did do any of the above in her life.
   Anyhoo, let’s give all that no never mind and just say, again, cheerio old girl. That is all.

Quote;  Greg Tamblyn.

Things you don’t want to hear at the reading of the will:
”First, your Uncle Walter apologizes for betting everything he had on the 5th race at Belmont.”
             Will Rogers.
”When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep, not screaming like the passengers in his car.”

4 comments:

Ripper said...

Mac,
I'm offended. I had the Tull tune played at my sister's funeral in 2016, How dare her maj hijack it.

Seriously though, the news informs me that we now have a further 7 days of 'mourning'. That's their programming sorted for the next 6 months then. I don't watch TV apart from the weather but even that's been overtaken. The daughter watches TV, and going by hers, its in your face from morning to midnight every day. One of the CBS channels on Freeview is displaying a photo of her maj accompanied by a choir singing 4 notes on a loop, instead of adverts. That's every 10 minutes.

Personally I don't want to know. I don't care.

Mac said...

Ripper,
Sorry, I did think about that but I featured it in memory to all those 'common folk' who've passed away during the period of this royal jamboree with nary a mention outside their families.
TV free of adverts for a day? This one included? Is it for some car outfit or to glorify thug life? This country's lost...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CZq7osxMJw

Ripper said...

Mac,
Yes, seen that one, its strange to say the least. Terrible advertising that says nothing about their services, especially the guy in pink. Hardly a thug wearing that.

Remember a time, not so long ago, when adverts had a sense of humour? Car and beer ads seemed to be the funniest (the Boddington ads). Now, you've got some donkey talking to a bloke while he's trying to brush his teeth. What's a donkey got to do with mouth wash? Or that vile ad where the kid is trying to guilt trip the mother into buying fake chicken.

Remember these Ford adverts?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7kW5eWk9g4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5KgZPNVKAg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxFlnvUbnyA

Mac said...

Ripper,
No, don't remember those adverts, I must've been far away at the time. As you say, there isn't an advert that tells me anything about the product other than some give links for click bait.
I do believe, as I've noted before, a huge number of TV sets are turned on out of habit and left on as a little company to be heard chattering away quietly over in the corner.