25 Nov 2021

And Then, A Restart...

   A little bit after a while ago I was contacted by a relative asking if I had any family history information to share to help with adding a little meat to her tree. Although I haven’t done any family history research for more years than I have fingers and toes, I do have all documents and photographs obtained back when. These I sent off to my cousin. A long lost I may add.
   Anyhoo, going through all that old stuff rekindled my interest so I decided to set to and decided to start by the simple expedient of exploring my own past. I’m delighted to report that, with a reasonable level of accuracy considering the little information available to me, I’ve managed to trace myself all the way back to a week last Wednesday. Only kidding; back to a week last Thursday.
   In other ‘news’ I see there’s only the loss of life in the ultra dangerous, apparently, channel being ‘reported’ it seems. Dangerous crossing? Hell, folk swim it for fun do they not?
   Wot else? Oh, co-co. Please
check this Twatter link out, found on Going Postal, and you have to wonder when we’ll see this fellows like over here and, more importantly, reported upon by our MSM.

Quote;  Ambrose Bierce.

Genealogy: An account of one’s descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re Family history:
Ever been here Mac?:
https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search#countyFacet

Real stories rather than dry names and dates.
The index is free. When you've made a list, pay a months subscription and look it all up.
Best thirteen quid I've ever spent!!!

Warning: One reason common people got their name in the paper was when they got into trouble, e.g.: Drunk in town on market day: fined three shillings.
Many family members do not like being informed of such things.
(Indeed you don't have to look far today to see instances of people's hostile reactions to the truth).
I have only dared tell one of my cousins about our uncle, sent to Australia in 1839 for stealing potatoes.

Happy hunting.

Rick

Mac said...

Rick,
Appreciate that my friend. I'll be sure to give it a look.
As you say, I might find my local paper entry from way back; £1 fine for riding a bike on the pavement... Those where the days eh?