13 Feb 2024

And Then Shopping…

   After a look at the ‘news’ to check wot I need to be terrified about for the next twenty-four hours, we ventured out earlyish AM to a supermarket and something I’ve been aware of for a goodly while was apparent in spades this visit.
   Most visits, as y’all know, involve the occasional ally way jams involving customers with trollies travelling in opposite directions trying to get round a staff member with a jolly big truck restocking shelves.
Wot I see more and more now is that along with the shelf stacker is very many members of staff with a scanner and a big trolley loaded with baskets. This is obviously collecting online orders ready for delivery. So far so wot? Well - as they say - is this also another drip-drip towards that cashless world? How long before it’s all online and supermarkets close their doors to shoppers and become just warehouses? Not too long I’m guessing. Thus we also edge a tad closer to ‘our’ fifteen minute living areas when the only traffic permitted to venture out of and into all zones will be the odd bus and delivery trucks.
   Online shopping? I do very little and having said that, this morning, before the shopping trolley challenge, I went online and ordered a new tablet cover. Upon paying and getting details, I noted delivery will be before ten tomorrow morning. Now I know why barely an hour passes without seeing an Amazon delivery truck zipping up or down the road.

Quote; Cynthia Nelms.

“If men liked shopping, they'd call it research.”

No comments: