8 Dec 2019

And Then, Cold...

Last week, where I be, we had the two coldest days of winter so far. So far, so wot? So the gas boiler threw a sulk and quit. This sulk was detected early AM but the repair person was crowded out ‘till the next day PM. That was a cold night away from the front of the fire let me tell ya’.

Anyhoo, boring story short, and I’ll quickly repeat an old by-the-by, there was a knock on the door and the fellow standing there greeted me with, “I understand you have an old boiler giving you grief?” To which I replied, “Yes I have but she’ll be fine once she’s warm again.” So, roll up he did, had a look and announced a part was required and he’d be back the next day AM so we suffered another cold night and we were starting to need proper showers... And thus, next day, he came, he fixed, he left - he left two folk arm wrestling for first go in the shower.

During this cold interlude I gave a thought to Greta, blessed be her name, and her ideas for us all and felt confident I’d prolonged the planets life by a minute fraction of a millisecond while the boiler was down. This saving may well have been negated owing to the gas fire consuming close to a weeks output from a North Sea gas field.

During that crisp pause I did me one of they ready meals. Hunters chicken with wedge potatoes and man, it looked good on the box. Once made hot I must say it was rather tasty. However, as with all this type of food, it lived up to its name and I had to hunt for the chicken.  These ready meals, however attractive the box illustration is, you can be sure that ninety percent of the meal will comprise of the cheapest produce you see in the picture. Rice, potatoes and peas seem to be favourites.

Quote;  Robert Byrne.

"Winter is nature's way of saying, 'Up yours.'"