2 Jun 2019

And Then A Quick Rejoinder...

Will you look at this; I’m here again. The reason being to type about something I’m betting you’ve noticed that’s crept into the shopping experience – other than parking the car – and that would be? You buy something, pay, receive any change due and a receipt. Then you’re asked for your E-mail address so the store can mail you your receipt. That would be a copy of the hard copy of the receipt you’ve just been handed. I wonder how many folk actually go along with this little bit o’ data harvesting.

That sprang to mind owing to my ongoing health thingy. While in hospital they wouldn’t give me a pill without first asking me my date of birth. In fact they wouldn’t let me out of hospital before I supplied said information.

This continues with every visit to a doctor, nurse or pharmacist, with the occasional addition of second or first or all names.

The new one is the pharmacist asking for an address and this is where the rejoinder comes in. Just a little mood lightening I formulated on the way for the latest med collection and goes something like this;
Pharmacist, “Here’s your meds. Oh, address?”
Me, “Whoa! I didn’t know you could get a dress on the NHS! No wonder they’re in deep financial do-do. I’ll pass on the dress. However, a pair of trousers... No? Oh. Bu-by.”

I had another at a burger joint a few days ago where an attractive young lady was mentoring an equally attractive young lady. We worked our way through all the permutations involved in purchasing a burger and finally got to the last question;
Burger girls, “Take out?”
Me, “That’s a lovely idea but the wife would go ballistic.”

Quote;  Oscar Wilde.

“Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.”

2 comments:

A K Haart said...

Yes we get the email request and we always say no. They may as well ask "shall we send you lots of unwanted emails?"

Mac said...

A K Haart,
That and they should also let you know they'll be passing your address along to many other folk to ensure your inbox is kept full.