2 Mar 2019

And Then Jog On...

I’m positive you’re not in the slightest bit interested as to why I haven’t popped in here for the last few days and I’m not about to bore you with the reasons. I will, however, make mention of one of the reasons.

My little nest of vipers has been suspiciously subdued recently and I put this down to the fact finally sinking in that the sixty year milestone had been reached. How right I was as she announced she was going to start a fitness and weight control exercise regime.  Have at it said I, sensing there was more to this than press-ups.
”I want to do that running that I see many people doing.” Have at it said I, sensing there was more to this than jogging.
”But I don’t want to run round road. Can I have machine?”

After a little research, it seems – should I wish to join in at some time at my age – that a tread mill was the way to go.  Thus it was that a big truck rolled-up and two stout fellows unloaded a box of dimensions only a tad less than those of the big truck.

I got it set up in the dining room after rearranging the furniture somewhat. No big deal as the dining area hasn’t been used since the invention of the tray and the realisation that trays rested on knees in front of TVs. Thing was the spooky screwing together similarity with Ikea kit. All finished and unlike Ikea, with one screw short, I had two bolts, three nuts and two washers left looking at me. Sounds cool but is as equally annoying as this is motorised, heavy kit and although I’d followed the distructions to the letter, I had to go through the whole procedure again. Health and safety don’t ya know.  And? All was cool and I do indeed have spare kit that’ll sit in a draw, just in case, for ever.

I fired the beast up and gave it a test and let me tell ya it ‘reaches’ places I didn’t know I had places. At her chosen time, off she went and I withdrew to the sitting room sofa to continue my breathing in and out routine. I was expecting her back, breathless, in moments but she hit it for the full thirty minutes as recommended. I’m surprised and impressed.

Yes, I’ll join in but I plan to work into it gradually over a period of five to six months until I’m doing a full five minutes a day...

Quote;  Rita Rudner.

"The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: ‘If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it jumping up and down.'"

2 comments:

A K Haart said...

We see people on similar machines in the gym next to the pool where the grandkids go swimming. The trouble is it looks really, really boring. Maybe a system of rewards would help such as a brand new colander for each completed week.

Mac said...

A K Haart,
This is, for me, very true but she has her music and is unfazed.
I haven't looked but has nobody jumped on the idea for a virtual reality headset for exercise machine users? A nice walk/run through a landscape of your choice with the option for fighting off colander eating monsters...