5 Jan 2019

And Then Some Clarification...

Over the Christmas period I had communications, via that Electronic Mail thingy that seems to be gaining in popularity, with a dear old friend from far off work days who informed me that over in Canada the weather hadn’t been all that bad to date but he was about to start cutting logs ready for the onset of colder conditions. I became a tad concerned for his wellbeing so replied quickly  hoping he had all the Health and Safety stuff in place as we’d become, reluctantly, accustomed to during the latter ‘progressive’ years we spent in the oil patch. His reply, below, confirmed my worst fears regards the high priority the old hands took this subject...

  I'm sad that you think I have forgotten all my safety. I do think I had most of it covered. I was wearing a hat but it's only hard when the sweat dries, I was wearing glasses but that was just to see my hand in front of my face and so I don't cut off my own leg. I have a permit......really. You actually can't cut wood here without one. As for the reflective vest, no way I'm going to be mistaken for a Frenchmen here. I do have a bright yellow waistband on my underwear...... does that count? I had gloves but I was only wearing them because they were free :) I did do an announcement, I told the dog to get out of the way. No need to cord off the area as everyone in the area thinks I'm a nutter and won't come near the place. The plaid hat with the ear flaps works wonders. So I've not forgotten my safety, just were I put the chain saw.
   You’re right about having to be old to retire. Being crazy just isn't the free pass I thought it was. To late to change now. Getting older isn't as fun as it was when you were 5 but it sure beats the alternative.   
   Happy belated Birthday. I hope you finely got that bike you wanted when you were 8.

Health an’ Safety? Don’t ya love it?

              

Quote;  Safety Officer??

“I have no idea how to do your job but my book says you’re doing it wrong.”

No comments: