6 Aug 2018

And Then A Head Shaker...

In and out today as I’m exhausted owing to an extensive protracted period of priority shopping. For what? Not sure you’ll believe me and I’m struggling to accept wot I’ve just been subjected too myself.

Many miles travelled, many stores visited until my little nest of vipers found the exact one she wanted. Now to me, the chosen one looked – and exhibited exactly the same set of characteristics - as the very first one she minutely inspected and rejected at the start of her quest.

Okay, here’s the kicker. We’ve spent the best part of a day purchasing a tin opener. An ordinary, run of the mill, manual tin opener. Damn! And yet another kicker? This is to replace the one in the draw we’ve had for ten years which, at time of last inspection, is showing absolutely no sign of damage or any indications that it may be close to the point of wearing out. To put it bluntly, blunt it is not. It still cuts cans. But hay, today she had a desperate need to be the owner of two tin openers.

I’m not even going to mention that ninety nine percent of cans now come with ring pulls...

Me ‘ead ‘urts.

Grandad, as per your comment, here’s a very short list to start with. Hell of a challenge but immensely interesting and great fun to be had. The search is on for the definitive list!

Quote;  Dolly Parton.

“My first phone was two tin cans tied together with string, and it worked pretty good.”

4 comments:

Caratacus said...

Mac - had a bit of a squint at the list you linked to ... and I'm intrigued to see just how many of those supposedly archaic words figure largely in the Caratacus lexicon. My son-in-law finds it hugely amusing when his eleven year old daughter comes out with stuff like, "Avaunt, sirrah - be about your business lest I place this stick where it will inconvenience the bishop" (even I am a bit uncomfortable about being responsible for that one), and so forth. At the archery field, and I swear this is true, she will draw her bow, vouchsafe her old grandad a conspiratorial eye and say, "'ware ye the Frenchies, Grandad" .... can't think where she gets it from.

Ripper said...

Mac - consider yourself lucky - it could easily have been a colander. At least now you know what to get her for Christmas.

Mac said...

Caratacus,
Lovely tale but wait for this evening and you may regret hitting the 'Enter' key...

Mac said...

Ripper,
The can opener of choice cost £3. However, taking in gas and miles, thus depreciation of re-sale value of the motor, it probably cost closer to £100. Absolute bloody bargain...