30 Jun 2018

And Then A Shock...

I was half watching the BBC TV news around midday, as you do, when it turned to sport. Of course the footy took top topic but was then followed by athletics and the news that some lady of colour was running somewhere today.

What was it that caused me to stand back in shock then? It was when the reporter reported that although this lady of colour was getting on a bit she was still a force to be reckoned with and was almost back to full form despite... and that’s when the shock hit home.

A BBC reporter just said that? Check screen. Yup it’s the BBC. How very dare they! Open computer to fire off a stock shocked and offended E-mail.

While the laptop was booting, I replayed the naughty bit back in my head a few times and then closed the computer lid and relaxed as I realised the sentence had ended, not as I’d first thought, but ‘...a niggly injury.’

However, I’ll bet money there actually is someone somewhere who’s taken offence at the choice of that word to describe the injury of a lady of colour and is, at this moment, pounding on their keyboard in righteous indignation.

Quote;  Joe DiMaggio.

“I can remember a reporter asking me for a quote, and I didn't know what a quote was. I thought it was some kind of soft drink.”

No comments: