24 Aug 2016

And Then, Back We go...

It’s hot here and after a little light yard work, I was feeling decidedly lethargic so went off to seek solace in music.

First up is this fine piece. Peter Sellers is in there and, allegedly, plays the ukulele. I like it for the photos of the band and the snazzy attire of the day on display.
WARNING! One photo, about halfway through, would appear to show two of the band holding cigarettes and as any Timidadian will tell you, even though the picture was taken in the mid 1970’s, it’s a ‘known fact’ that traces of tobacco smoke do become impregnated into the film and can be released, simple by looking at the photo, back into the immediate atmosphere of the viewer. Look away now!!

                 

Let’s voyage yet further back; way back to 1967... Pardon? Yes, there really was such a year. I know, I was there. In fact, a whole bunch of us were tearing it up back there. I guess it’s still out there somewhere there as all we did was play through it and to the best of my knowledge it wasn’t deleted.

Anyhoo, it’s The Incredible String Band. Remember them? Remember The Hedgehog’s Song? I’m betting  a bunch of you do. I particularly like the chorus. Read it then read it again and then, just to be sure, read it again. Those words work on so many, well, levels – as they say.

Oh, you know all the words, and you sung all the notes,
But you never quite learned the song, she sang.
I can tell by the sadness in your eyes,
That you never quite learned the song.

              

Quote;  Longfellow.

“And the night shall be filled with music,
And the cares that infest the day
Shall fold their tents like the Arabs
And as silently steal away.”

2 comments:

Demetrius said...

All around my hat.

Mac said...

Demetrius,
I guess that's the iconic Steeleye Span number; the one they'll always be remembered for. Say either one, you always think of the other.