3 Feb 2015

And Then A Cold Night….

Well, that was a cold night and we awoke to a white world with snow that's in dramatic drifts of up to an inch in places. This snow seems not to have had the effect on everyday life that the news media would have liked it to have had as all seemed to be ticking along okay.

I was, however, remindful of the fact that after a night so cold it's good to call in on the elderly folk in the neighbourhood to check they're okay and, to save them venturing out in cold, slippery conditions, ensure they have all they need.

I then realised that, sadly, I'm pretty well at the age at which the good neighbourhood folk should be looking in on me.

I also remembered the last time I flew through Amsterdam, three years ago? and on the transfer bus from the plane to the terminal, which is always full, a young buck, seeing me strap-hanging, offered me his seat. Man, that hurt. {I accepted his offer out of politeness…}

All that reminded me of this;
"The local deli ran out of milk again due to the freezing weather. Fortunately, my elderly neighbor, Doreen, has plenty stacked up on her doorstep."

I've also noticed that the days are getting longer. Actually, they're not. I know that this year will be one second longer than last year, thanks to the work of the International Earth Rotation Service, but it's doubtful we'll notice this on a day-to-day bases. What I've actually noticed is the days are staying lighter longer.

Pardon? Really? You were totally unaware of the existence of an organisation by the name of the International Earth Rotation Service? I wouldn't worry too much. I'm guessing the only people aware of the existence of the International Earth Rotation Service are the fellows who have adrenalin pumping work with the International Earth Rotation Service.

Anyhoo, me and her, or her and I, eager to use part of our extra second, did make it out through the settled snow and scary drifts all the way into town where I stopped by an e-liquid shop where I enquired of the counter attendant if they had USA tobacco blend to which he replied, "No, sorry. All we have is American tobacco blend."
"Is that the north or the south one?" I asked putting on my best expression of puzzlement.
"It doesn't say. It just says American." he said, turning the little box in all directions while squinting at the minute print thereon.
"You know what? I'll take a couple. North or south, it can't be all that far from the USA, right?"
"Not too sure about that but you can return it if you don't like it as long as the box is still sealed." He said, beaming with helpfulness.
"That's good to know, but please, through the day, play that last bit over and over in your head and see if you can spot the problem."

Quote;  Sarah Addison Allen.

“Snow flurries began to fall and they swirled around people's legs like house cats. It was magical, this snow globe world.”

No comments: