13 Dec 2014

And Then, I Had A Dream….

I was lying in bed last night, I find it so much more comfortable than standing, when I got to thinking about dreams as it seems to me that the older I get the more ‘real’ my dreams seem to be getting and the more detail I remember when I wake. Is this because my head now has less day-to-day stuff to concern itself with so has room to remember more and more trivial stuff? Are dreams trivial?

I’ve also noted that, although I dream as me, I’m sometimes outside me and watching me. This got me wondering if, in fact, I’m watching me in another dimension or parallel universe and when I wake, me over there is watching me over here. Whoa!! I do believe it’s time for one of they little blue pills.

Tell you what, after watching me over there I’m kind o’ glad I’m over here as it seems that, over there, I’m continually missing trains or planes owing to getting to the gate and discovering I’ve lost my ticket  or can’t find my passport. And where did I leave my damn luggage? This results in having to rush through a  labyrinth of rooms to locate bits of paperwork or bags, and having to do it in a hurry through thigh-high treacle! Net result? Missed travel, and I can only assume that me over there has lost many a job owing to being a no-show.

Let’s not even think about how clumsy I appear to be over there going by the number of times I’ve ended up free-falling off stuff without, thankfully, ever landing.

This all jogged my memory back to the eighties when I tried to take in, and gave up at page two, A Brief History Of Time by Stephen Hawking.

It seems there was this really, really big bang a while ago resulting in the birth of the universe and the start of  time. As best I remember, Mr Hawking’s theory, at the time, was that the universe would slowly stop expanding as gravity took hold and then start to contract back into a big crunch at the same point it all kicked off. He also postulated that, and this is the kicker, as everything was running backwards, time would also be running backwards.

Think about that; all through our lives we spend time in areas of ignorant bliss then, just ahead, we run into a problem and our spirits drop. In time we figure out the problem, find a solution, resolve the problem and  joyously step into a meadow of daisies, buttercups!  ‘Till the next time.

It’s been awful tough at times, right? Well, imagine doing it all again - but this time backwards! Oh boy.

It’s pretty obvious the problems we faced going out the way will be there as we voyage inwards and the reverse will be identical to the original. As we all joyously gibber away backwards to each other, we’ll find ourselves in a happy skippy meadow followed by an unexpected problem that gets progressively worse until we hit the ignorance is bliss bit again. Ever backwards and upwards my friends!!

What will become of our minds and memory with a change in time direction? For the above to hold true memory will have to change direction as well because, if not, and I found myself, on my backward voyage, in a happy, flowery meadow I’d be thinking, ‘Oh oh. There may be trouble ahead.’ and when I managed to stop humming the song, backwards,  those words  reminded  me of, I’d further think, ‘You know what? I’m gonna  take a sharp left right about here!’ 

The result with all fellow travellers taking similar decisions? Chaos, and a possible breakdown of the space-time continuum. So, as you can’t mess with time, I guess memory will have to get a re-boot and start over at the end thus our past future will become our future past. All it really means is the daisy meadow and the ignorance is bliss bits will be reversed.

It’ll be a tad tricky and take a bit of getting used to but, looking on the bright side, we’ll all start getting our TV license money back.

Having gone over this post again, I don’t know about you but I’m pretty sure those little blue pills ain’t working worth a damn. The next time I dream I’ll try to spot what colour pill I’m taking over there. If I remember…

Quote;  Mark Twain.

“Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.” 

            Edgar Allan Poe.

“All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.”

            Albert Einstein.

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”

No comments: