22 Oct 2014

And Then We Become Collectors….

So here we are, or at least I are, with two small stainless-steel colanders that require storage ‘till the third one gets broken so I’m looking at extremely long term storage for these ‘bargain’ items. In fact I may have to amend my will to indicate their whereabouts so future generations can pass them along.

We have a base cupboard unit in the kitchen, as you do, that’s in a corner and has one of those three decked twirly-whirly storage thingies inside so I thought right at the back far corner behind the twirly-whirly thingy would be as good a place as any to stick them. Far better than having them on display on the windowsill but less better than my favoured idea of sticking them, at dead of night, in the trash bin.

After clearing the lower deck of the twirly-whirly thingy, the better to get the two stainless-steel colanders into the back corner, my hand came into contact with something that felt vaguely familiar.

Upon withdrawing the item into the cold light of day, I wasn’t in the slightest bit surprised to find myself admiring a dusty, but otherwise pristine, small stainless-steel colander. How many years has he been hiding back there then?

Yeah, I know. I can hear you smiling. I’m quietly confident we’re now the leading collectors of stainless-steel colanders.

Whoa! Wait a silent second there! I can’t see anyone but can hear smiling? I can ‘hear’ you smiling? Did you hear me typing that?

{Note: Still no colander has been used at time of typing but one has been washed and placed, with others, into long-term storage.}

Quote;  Bill Bryson.

“Originally, the cellar served primarily as a coal store. Today it holds the boiler, idle suitcases, out-of-season sporting equipment, and many sealed cardboard boxes that are almost never opened but are always carefully transferred from house to house with every move in the belief that one day someone might want some baby clothes that have been kept in a box for twenty-five years.”

No comments: