28 Dec 2013

And Then A Man’s House….

I ran into the piece below, from the on-line Belfast Telegraph, and found myself reading the same bit several times to ensure I’d got it right. Nothing changed over several reads so I assumed I’d got it right.

According to the paper this is what our Dave said during a soggy Land Rover visit to a flooded area;
“Look at this man's house, I was just talking to. That was a flood barrier he got after 2000 - quite a high flood barrier. But this was such a massive flood the water went over the flood barrier and into the house………”

The whole thing is pretty dire but that first sentence is an absolute doozy and, try as I may, I can’t seem to make that one comma save it.

I found I was presented with a couple of scenarios, one of which is that this is, again, truly rubbish reporting and editing and the other, slightly more unsettling scenario, is that this is exactly what Dave, ‘It’s Water And I’m Out Of My Depth’, Cameron actually said. So there you have it; the man who’s in charge of the country may well talk to inanimate objects.

Dave, you’ve been at this long enough now to know that statements like ‘Look at this man's house, I was just talking to.’ however catchy and cleaver they may sound in your head, they shouldn’t be bandied about when you’re out and about. Keep ‘em between yourself and your trick-cyclist to be analysed during your weekly sessions is what I’d recommend ol’ buddy. Or are you up to daily sessions now?

In case you think I’m making this up, here’s the link. By the way, the first commenter over there seems a tad upset with a couple of things.

Quote;  Libba Bray.

“I should never be left alone with my mind for too long.”

No comments: