31 Jan 2012

And Then, The Wet Cistern….

I remember posting about condensation some time back and the purchase of a dehumidifier to combat said condensation. This is by way of an up-date on said condensation and dehumidifier.

The dehumidifier works fine. There you go; up-dated.

But.... there’s always a ‘but’ isn’t there? So what’s the ‘but’ about? I here you but, butting and tut, tutting to yourself. It’s about that old winter favourite of condensation on the toilet cistern.

Searching the Web you can find many cures for this favourite of winter phenomena, one of the best has to be a fish tank heater in the cistern. No, really, the idea’s out there! It also seems there are cistern lining kits available although I can’t locate them here, and I’m pretty sure I don’t have the patience to cut, shape and stick polystyrene in there.

Another good idea is this. But, yup, another ‘but’, you ever tried working with this expanding foam looking stuff? Most definitely not for the more quick to temper sort of person. It should be called something like, ‘What An Absolutely Amazing Mess In A Can’.

After the preamble we come to this. If I’m telling you a quick fix you already know, sorry, otherwise it may help you. Dead easy - dry the outside of the cistern off as good as possible then, using a dry cloth, wipe washing up liquid over the surface.

Recently I tried that liquid soap in a pump looking bottle that you can pick up cheap in those Pound type shops, and that seems to be working even better, longer than washing up liquid. Because of a slightly thicker consistency you think?

Try it, you know you want to. Or, if your quick fix is better than my quick fix, let me know.

{Note to self; Would I have the patience to cut and glue polystyrene just to the one side wot is against the wall?}

Quote; Dave Barry.

“European toilet paper is made from the same material that Americans use for roofing, which is why Europeans tend to remain standing throughout soccer matches.”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like your blog post. Keep on writing this type of great stuff. I'll make sure to follow up on your blog in the future.
Roofing Hamilton