14 Jun 2011

And Then There Was A Ramble….

It being a very pleasant evening last evening and as black o’ dark descended I found myself sitting in the garden enjoying a night cap. Well, I didn’t actually ‘find myself’. I knew where I was, and as there’s only one of me, it wasn’t hard for me to find me and, lo and behold, there I was, exactly where I knew I was.

Anyhoo, sitting there in peace and quiet was most pleasant. Then, suddenly, the peace and quiet was broken by the not too distant barking of a couple of foxes. That’s a lonely, and somehow forlorn sound isn’t it? Not for them, I guess, as it sounded like a couple of foxes so they had company, but the sound, to me, is very lonely and eerie.

For a moment, sitting there, glass in hand, I felt like a bit player in ‘Midsomer Murders’. Know the bit part I mean? The guy who gets murdered twenty seconds after the credits have stopped rolling. D’you think I had a quick look over my shoulder to see if ‘my little nest of vipers’ was creeping up to whack me hard on the head with a heavy hammer? Hell yes.

Back to nature; How did I conclude there were two foxes? Slightly differing pitches of bark. Almost certainly a vixen and a dog. How did I conclude they were a lady and man fox? Easy. For all the world, it sounded like they were arguing.

Please remember I’m totally untrained in the nuances of fox speak but I’m quietly confident ‘chicken’ cropped up a couple of times.

I know, I know, we’ve been here before. No excuses, I like it and it fits. Okay?

To end this nature ramble, may I ask my reader what the below picture is of? “A tree covered in white cotton wool looking stuff” aint going to get it. I got that. It’s an apple tree which gave but a hand-full of fruit last year and no blossom this year. Along with the white stuff, some branches are splitting long ways. Be he on the way to the big orchard in the sky? No, I don’t have a clue how old he is.

Photo0116 Finishingly, please read the comment to the last post. It ties in, loosely, with the ‘forehead of doom’ sending a wedge of our pretend money to far away pretend places. This comment is from a friend who was right at the front with privately donated aid, in the form of actual goods, and attempted to deliver said aid to the needy in the aftermath of the tsunami. Imagine what happens to money. I would also imagine he grits his teeth every time he sees one of those heart tugger aid adverts on TV.

Quote; Doug Larson.

"A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows."

No comments: