19 Jul 2023

And Then, Counting...

   Yesterday, my little nest of vipers had a tasty fry-up for lunch comprising chicken feet and rice. Not wishing to share, I popped out to a fast food joint. I chose wot I wanted and joined the queue of one other.
    The fellow in front of me seemed to know the fellow serving as they talked of the server guys part time job in this joint and how things were going at college.
    Anyhoo, his order was placed, paid for - by card of course - and he went to sit. I placed my little order and the server informed me it’d be five pounds ninety-eight pence. I dived into my change pocket - always well loaded - and handed over a two pound coin, three one pound coins and a selection of twenty, ten and five pence coins all topped off with a two pence and two one pence coins.
    This took the college attending part time server awfully close to five minutes to confirm via counting. Counted hand to hand a phew times then laid out on the counter and counted into his hand and then placed on the counter in little piles of same denomination coins and eventually deposited in the cash register. This took time as each coin had to be placed in the correct register bin thus much checking of each coin was required to ensure it was deposited in the correct register bin with its same denomination buddies.
    This all gave me pause for thought as to how many of the young have ever even seen proper money, never mind having to pay for a purchase by counting it across a counter...
    Off topic, I ran into an interesting image that says all wot needs to be said to those convinced it’s us wot’s responsible for the ever changing weather. Says so much does it not?

Quote; J. Paul Getty

 “If you can count your money, you don’t have a billion dollars.”

No comments: