11 Aug 2022

And Then, An Appeal...

     Seems gas and lecky will be unaffordable come Octebuary with the real possibility of blackouts. Scary? However Octebuary is far away so wot can we frighten folk with right now? Whoa! Polio in the water!
   No need to be all that frightened as ‘they’ may have got the wrong scare right there as ‘news’ of this is quickly followed by drought warnings...
   With these scary ‘warnings’ of a drought, how long before we get charity adverts on the TV? Something along these lines;
   Six year old Suzie Smithers should be at school but she has to walk over a mile, several times a day, in the blistering heat, to get water for her family from the nearest neighbourhood standpipe.
    It shouldn’t be like this in one of the wettest countries on the planet so a donation from you will help us dredge all those rivers, streams and brooks that’ve been allowed to block-up in order to save the newt so we at the charity, No More Newts, can give little Suzie’s family, and countless others across our country, the chance of clean, newt free water coming out of their taps again.
   Please contact HMRC today to volunteer a personal tax increase of as little as one hundred and fifty pounds per month for on-pass to No More Newts to help us make stand pipes a thing of the past – and newts... You know you want to. Thank you very big on behalf of little Suzie
. And our CEO...

Quote;  Theodore White.

“A liberal is a person who believes that water can be made to run uphill. A conservative is someone who believes everybody should pay for his water. I'm somewhere in between: I believe water should be free, but that water flows downhill.”

9 comments:

Ripper said...

Want to make a charity donation for the homeless this Christmas?

Crisis are asking for £29.06.

Save yourself £10.06 at this important time of year by giving just the £19 the Salvation Army are advertising as their requirement benchmark.

Ripper said...

Funny coincidence...

Harry plays Polo and Meghan is the mint with the hole..

Oh, sorry - I thought you said Polo.

Mac said...

Ripper,
Oh come on; Harry and Mega-me, me, me are a lovely couple.
Polio - polo same thing really. One not nice, one boring.
I'm waiting for Age UK to give me a call to offer help with upcoming energy bills. Could be quite a wait.
The news channels are really soaking all they can out of this water deal are they not? Wot a three ring cluster we're looking at, eh?

Ripper said...

Mac,
Just posted this over at N.O. related to the water shortage

https://twitter.com/BridgeeCee/status/1558117958165184513

And the energy bills (good comment thread)

https://twitter.com/ofgem/status/1556974836131545092?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Mac said...

Ripper,
Yeah, saw that.
I spent my early life in a small seaside town and the beach had various lengths of breakers running out along the beach to reduce sand wash away. One of these lengths had a large pipe running along its length to discharge beyond low tide mark. The end of the pipe was marked by a pole topped with a diamond emblem. Discharging wot? Raw sewage. And nobody gave it a thought. Swimming, paddling, playing on the beach with just keeping a weather eye out for large jobbies.
Later? No idea, but I believe they started treating sewage before discharge. Treating how I have no idea but it discharged through the same pipe. Right now? No idea, but the pole and diamond are still there.
All the seaside towns along there had the same pole and emblem on their beaches.

Ripper said...

Mac,
Sometimes I'm actually glad that I never learned to swim.. the closest I've ever come to being in the sea is the ferry from Heysham to the Isle of Man. It all reminds me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cak6R3a1BYA

Mac said...

Ripper,
Spent my whole working life on the sea. Swimming ability? Managed one bath length at sea school so they could tick me off as a swimmer. so basically, I'm also a none swimmer and dreaded those helicopter crash escape courses although you declared none swimming status so they'd keep a good eye on you.

Ripper said...

Mac,
I've heard that before. In my early days as a newly qualified welder I considered getting a job on the rigs, I was told the money was excellent. Power stations as well, and when I mentioned it to my mates they all said why don't you? There's nothing stopping you now. "I can't swim" says I. "Neither can 99% of the guys who work on the rigs" was their reply. That blew my mind, there's no way I'd get a job at sea without being able to swim so I was scared off that idea. I had taken the assumption that everyone could swim except me, in fact no one in my family could swim.

Later on, when I'd got myself a well paying job, a lot of the foreigners I worked with came from the rigs, and the shipyards too.

Mac said...

Ripper,
Right enough. On the ships nobody wanted to be treading water or trying to swim thousands of miles to the beach. Just go down.
And it's amazing how not being able to swim focuses the mind regards doing a job without falling in. Health and safety wasn't needed, just self - and your work mates - awareness. Never fell in or saw anyone fall in. Oh, one dead drunk seaman fell off staging, reaching for the last beer, in dock somewhere in the US. Pulled out, pumped out - only beer - and put back to work. Different daze.