15 Aug 2022

And Then, DIY...

   Yup, still here but that thing called the real world intervened and left me no time to tap away on a tap-top.
   No, I’m not going to go into details as to wot the intervention was other than to say it involved kitchen units, water, concrete and tiles.
   Lessons learned? A big one; don’t ever again post anything derogatory or funny regards the building trade or botched DIY as, it seems, by forces not yet fully understood, shortly after said post problems of varying complexity will be visited upon me.
   Anyhoo, all done for now and it, sadly, sure brought home that old age thingy.
   Old age? At the risk of repeating myself, to all you young folk out there, do all you can to enjoy every moment the road of life offers you because when you get to my end of the road two things will become apparent; it’s cluttered to hell an’ back with tin cans that’ve been kicked down here and when you look over your shoulder, back down the road of life, you’ll be amazed how short a journey it actually was.

             

    In other news, drought, wild fires, storms, danger to life flash floods, possible power cuts come winter, unaffordable food but something called strictly come dancing will soon be on TV again.
   I’m quietly confident my little nest of vipers and I and me will pull through most of that list. Most, that is, except the last TV dancing thingy. I mean who watches that? And why? I guess folk do or they wouldn’t make the program, right? Never mind, there’s always Sponge Bob Square Pants...   
   Fortunately, our televisual receiving device has a channel selector and also a button to turn it off all together. Very high tech as all can now be done without leaving the sofa and having to walk across the room and back. I guess you have to be of an age to remember having to do that. Damn! Age again...


Quote;  Melanie White.

“Remote controls are quite handy. They let you see that there’s nothing worth watching on TV a lot faster.

6 comments:

A K Haart said...

“Remote controls are quite handy. They let you see that there’s nothing worth watching on TV a lot faster.”

That quote is absolutely 100% spot on. We're on holiday, I've just scrolled through about 80 TV channels and found nothing at all worth watching.

Mac said...

A K Haart,
Yes, so very true. Enjoy your holiday, mind the drought and watch out for flash floods. See? The 'news' is the same. 24 hr news and nothing reported.

Ripper said...

Mac,
Nothing wrong with TVs, its what's displayed on them that's the problem. The dancing program has nothing on love island and big brother is coming back. I know that because my daughter watches them religiously. I'm sure she puts it on on purpose to get rid of me when I'm there.

Actually there's a movie on Film4 at 11.40 that's just up your street - Deepwater Horizon. I don't bother, between work, cooking/eating etc I prefer to be at the PC. My TV is used to play movies from a laptop hard drive connected to the USB port, I think there's over 300 on there now, plus my complete music collection and family photos.

As for the DIY, ever heard of the lightbulb conspiracy? Its when the light bulb manufacturers got together to limit the life of their bulbs. Its called Planned Obsolescence and from there it spread to everything. Well, builders, plasterers and brickies have it down to a fine art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4Og-BrKu0w

And you know what they say - these things come in threes.

Mac said...

Ripper,
Wot? Big Brother coming back? How did I miss that? Need to update my calendar right quick.
Deep Water Horizon you say; don’t need to watch that as I’ve been close to that on a semi sub in the North of the North sea drilling for gas and blew out. All hands to the lifeboats while the OIM and drill crew fought the well. After about an hour the well collapsed and bridged over. Standby for a while then stand down. Two weeks of careful well repair drilling and eventually resulted in a major gas field discovery.
Another time we were drilling about 15 miles from the Piper Alpha when that disaster struck. Dispatched our standby boat and a supply boat we were working and acted as a staging deck for choppers.
Caught out in none forcast storms while on tow? Quite a few. Gales and typhoons an all.
Thirty years; never lost nothing nor nobody...
As for light bulbs, I understand an attempt to patent an ever lasting bulb was made very many years ago and was blocked by the big boys. I’ll watch your link later, thanks.

Ripper said...

Mac,
Yep, there were a few patent applications for bulbs lasting over 100,000 hours but none of them made it to market. One of the original bulbs that was made before the conspiracy is still burning at a fire station in California, and its been lit now since 1901.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx1d3j1IEoI

Mac said...

Ripper,
Also seem to remember one guy was presented with an unreal amount of money to walk away and forget all about his 'invention'.