13 May 2022

And Then, Back I Go...

    I awoke the other morning with a song buzzing about in my head that I haven’t heard since school days. Is this old age regression you think?
   The song in question was sung, with great gusto, at sea school on the last day of every term to send those leaving school and about to join their first ship on their way with a last memory of school.
   The words I remember are below but the song, despite searches of the Wibbly Wobbly Web, I can’t find leading me to wonder if it was just a unique song which leads to the question, who wrote it?
   Anyhoo, compare that send off into the world of work to wot I can only imagine is the school leaving horror routine in this weird, woke world of today.

So my lad now your school days are over,
Far too long you’ve been living in clover,
Now at last it’s time to discover what Apprentices do when at sea.

Over seas and far up rivers,
Da dada da-da

Torrid heat will follow shivers,

Toil all day and when you blunder,

Hear the First Mates vocal thunder threatening to rend asunder,

Then you’ll wish yourself back home.

Tis goodbye to friendly faces.
Tis goodbye to well known places.

 

Note: No life-jackets, safety lines or health and safety paperwork was involved in the taking of the above photo.

Quote; Jelly Roll Morton.

 “Get up from that piano. You hurtin’ its feelings.”

 

 

2 comments:

James Higham said...

"Is this old age regression you think?"

Oh, without a doubt. Oh without ... didn't I just ... ? Where am I ...?

Mac said...

Mr Higham,
Possibly. I think... Or just a need for nearly normal times you think?