22 Mar 2020

And Then, Plumbing...

This post is for Ripper as a follow-up to his latest comment. But first, my thanks to Rat Catcher for a comment at Going Postal this morning that kickstarted my day with a wide smile:

“Chinese neighbour had Waffles for breakfast the bastard.
I loved that cat.”

A bit of basic plumbing but first the closing line from Ripper’s comment;
I think your nest of vipers is either very hardy indeed or secretly using all the toilet roll! :-)
Ripper, I’m of the belief she’s pretty much bullet proof.

And now to a few words loosely tied to plumbing. This goes back twenty years plus when my little nest of vipers took me ‘in country’ in a land far, far, far away, to visit some of her friends. The village comprised about thirty dwellings and we stayed with her elderly friends in their abode.

The washing and toilet facilities were in a shack attached to the main dwelling but at the same time separate. And I did use this facility although the first go was rather daunting. The toilet was just a hole in the ground with a raised area above with boards to squat on and a bucket of water for ‘cleaning up’. You use the bucket and fill it for the next user.

I have no idea how the bottom of the hole got cleaned up but the area was totally odour-free so I assumed it was in a continual state of being ‘flushed’ by the trench below that was tied into the swiftly running river that ran behind the village. Or by the big rains. Then wot? Wash your hands and just over there was a sink. Now I say sink but it’d be best described as one of they stone horse troughs you used to see in every town over here way back.

Okay, over to the ‘horse trough’  and rinsed my hands. I then cupped my hands, dunked ‘em and put my head down for a splash and this was when I saw the fish swimming about in the trough... Damn!! Was I washing in the fish-on-the-fin pantry? Back in the main dwelling I enquired as to the fish tank and was slowly and politely answered as if I was a tad ‘gone out’. If the fish were alive and well, the water was sure good and safe enough to wash yourself with. I left it at that as I figured it’d be impolite to bring up the subject of the ‘bodily’ functions of fish; a subject I’m spookily unfamiliar with anyway.

Drinking water? I gave that a pass and stuck to beer morning, noon and night purchased from the guy with a van who drove through the village, with stuff from the big town, every morning and evening. From our brief stay there, it seemed the entire population of the village did likewise. It was a very happy village... and I’m guessing their immune systems were probably off the chart. However, it was damn good to get back to the ‘polluted’ city.

Quote;  Bernard Sumner.

“In Salford, we had fish in our tap water. I remember, one hot summer day, running to the toilet at playtime and dunking our heads in a sink full of water. I remember putting my head in and seeing all these little fish in it.”

6 comments:

Ripper said...

Thanks for your anecdotal description Mac, enjoyed your usual comedic way, which raised a wide smile.

In my previous comment I was attempting to explain the 'why' part of our plumbing regulations, something I believed and thought quite logical since most building regs are, however your overseas experience tears that theory to shreds. It leaves me wondering why again. I still wouldn't fire cold water up my back door though, far too uncomfortable. I don't mind having to go back to our old ways, at least those didn't involve what must be akin to shoving live wasps up there. And that's coming from someone, who, as a kid, used Izal at school!

Mac said...

Ripper,
Wait and see wot we're all going to be landed with once this virus hysteria ends and many of the 'emergency regulations' mysteriously get left in place.

Ripper said...

Oh - you can bet next week's pay they will. Not 'many of' but all. The bill will be amended of course, to cover different things, such as 'wearing a loud shirt in a built up area', or 'under the influence of class A wine gums'.

Still I have to concede that right now something has to be done to force a large section of the population to consider others. Not concerning the virus itself but the looting of supermarkets and profiteering. The rules on self isolation and social distancing are worthless because the borders are still open and flights are still arriving. Next week (hopefully) I will be returning to work. I can go there (21 miles) and be among roughly 1,000 others, where its impossible to be 6 feet away from anyone, yet I cannot go to visit my daughter in the same street. Screw that.

I've seen quite a few of these small shopkeepers confronted about the profiteering, and I notice a pattern. All of them are of a certain caste.

And to finish with, have you seen the new fad 'Corona Challenge' that's doing the rounds on social media? Its a bit like the old 'Ice Bucket Challenge' but with a twist.

https://extra.ie/2020/03/22/news/irish-news/internet-challenge-coronavirus

https://globalnews.ca/news/6718358/tiktok-toilet-seat-lick-coronavirus/

Worst thing for me now is, the vape shops are closed, so it looks like I'm back on supermarket baccy.

Mac said...

Ripper,
Ripper, regards your vape store, if you have a B&M store in range, try 88Vape at a pound a pop. I’m a Rolling Tobacco chap. Asda also seem to stock a limited selection as do some Iceland stores.

Ripper said...

Mac, I love the 88 vape and get it regularly from B&M (Apple Freeze a favourite). My problem stems from the fact that I use the short fills and only have a limited amount of nic shots. Since I sub-ohm at around 70+ watts the tank I use drinks e-liquid at an alarming rate.

That's not usually a problem, but now the vape shops have closed, I my only recourse for nic shots would be B&M. On Saturday I went to get some liquid and nic shots from B&M, they had shed loads of 88 vape short fills but not one single nic shot.

I have a last resort idea before going back to hand rolling, which is, B&M also do a low power tank, which I could use the pre-mixed 88 vape liquid in. At the moment I'm making up 6mg with short fill bottles and 'direct to lung' vaping, but if I go back to 'mouth to lung' (like smoking) on a 18 or 20mg liquid, it will last 10 times longer. I could use the tank on the 200 watt box mod and just crank it down to about 8 watts. The tank I use is totally unsuitable, it has far too much airflow, the mouth tube is too wide and the atomizers work on a minimum of 50 watts, and if I put anything in there over 6mg it will blow my kneecaps off.

The silver lining is that the absence of the massive clouds of vapour would please anyone around me. At work a few of the guys call me 'Exocet' because that's how they can see I'm coming, but can't do anything about it.

I thought you had become a vaper. What happened?

Mac said...

Ripper,
Yes, still a vaper but just a simple version.
A battery, a K-1 tank and 88 Vape rolling Leaf liquid. That all I need to meet my needs.