10 Feb 2020

And Then, A Winters Day...

I see storm Ciara has been a very naughty girl but to us old folk she was really just a severe winter storm. She has, however, introduced me to a couple of previously unknown reporters. The first young fellow was needlessly standing in the wind, rain and sea spray at the seaside from where he reported that the wind was predicted to get quicker later in the day. Now I’ve been in many a wind; some referred to as hurricane force or typhoon strength or gale force or by Beaufort scale. But this is the first time I’ve heard the term ‘quick wind’. New one on me. “Whoa!! That wind’s a quickie today!” No; don’t ring a bell.

Next they cut to a young lady standing, pointlessly, on another seafront where the wind was barely ruffling the fur on the hood of her voluminous outer garments. She helpfully reported that it had already been reported that later in the day the waves would be bigger and rougher... Obviously waves from bad neighbourhoods moving in.

In other news, another young lady, reporting on the shocking shootings in Thailand, stated that many people had already been killed and died. So now you know; if you’re ever killed, it’s likely you’ll die. Who knew?

However, praise where praise be due and I’m happy to report that non of the reporters started their reports with the well worn ‘Well’.

I feel that if my English teachers of old were still around, they’d be in a perpetual state of, like, total rage.

Quote;  Spike Milligan.

“I speak Esperanto like a native.”

No comments: