7 Feb 2019

And Then FF Again...

So little to do; so much time - I hope, so I went in search of a fix for yet one more Firefox annoyance. That is an annoyance, okay, irritation for me but after doing that Google thingy it would seem I wasn’t alone.

Anyhoo, my minimal travails proved successful so if you use that left hand pop-out menu thingy for such as your RSS feed list and find you can drag it wider but are stopped short of the size you’d like when dragging it narrower, try the bit of css down below.

You know where to put it but just in case: Open File Explorer then User name - AppDater – Roaming – Mozilla – Firefox – Profiles – {Your profile} – chrome and then double click userChrome.ccs to open it. Then just copy and paste the bit below in blue, as is, into the css file and save it. Exit Firefox and the next time you open him you should be able to dramatically reduce the width of the pop-out menu and thus it’ll take up far less page space than before. Really, how exciting is that then? Brexit? Who cares when you can have as much free fun as this...

/* remove maximum/minimum width restriction of sidebar */
#sidebar {
max-width: none !important;
min-width: 0px !important; }

Quote;  Joseph Campbell.

“Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.”

2 comments:

Ripper said...

Mac, thanks for the mention and tune from the previous post. Meanwhile I've been having computer difficulties of my own. My hard drive died and I lost a few terrabytes of data, not to mention all my logins for various sites which were in the care of Firefox.

All is not lost though, I bought a new drive and installed Win10 on it, and apart from a few corrupt files I am able to read the sick drive, so am in the process of transferring stuff across. Firefox uses 2 folders in AppData (not AppDater):

\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\random_characters.default\
\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\random_characters.default\

Both folders will have the same name, though the name is made up of random characters followed by '.default'.

Neat trick this - install Firefox then copy those two folders over, overwriting the freshly installed ones. Restart Firefox and bingo - everything is back.. logins, bookmarks and settings, just as though nothing had happened. There is also a folder containing all currently installed Firefox extensions:

AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Extensions\

The same can be done with that. In fact it may be easier to just copy over the two complete Mozilla folders. I now have them zipped up and stored on another drive as a backup.

Also, using PowerShell, I have removed all Windows 'apps', even those (apart from a couple which are required for Windows to run at all) that 'can't be removed'. Also added registry keys to prevent them from coming back with a Windows update. The result I've found is that the clean, fresh install of Win 10 originally booted in 42 seconds. Without all these apps (34 of them) running in the background the boot time is reduced to under 10 seconds.

Mac said...

Ripper,
That's good info right there. Front & centre tonight my friend.