21 Dec 2018

And Then, I’m Still Here...

Come on, all together now, sing along with me;

Seventy-two today,
Seventy-two today,
Now I’ve got the key to the morgue,
I’ve never been seventy-two before.

And to be honest, I don’t feel a day older than I did yesterday even though I’m a day older than I was yesterday.

Seventy-two years. Lord, how things have changed. Some changes I don’t remember coming about owing to being too young and many I don’t understand owing to being too old.

The main change that’s obvious is the continuing erosion of the idea of any personal responsibility owing, in part, to the inexorable rise of the Nanny state. Seems someone else can now be blamed for just about anything and everything that may befall anyone. I could type about all the examples but my time’s probably too short and I doubt the Inter-Web is big enough to hold it all anyway.

As for my time, there have been good times and bad times and I’ve always done my best to make the most of the good times and make the best I could of the bad times.

As for the inane typing I indulge in right here, as previously typed, I’ll attempt to keep going but I’m guessing there’ll come a time when my brain will become less agile and more fragile. Going on wot I type here right now, any changes may be hard to spot...

To end on a happy and oft repeated note, I can tell you with certainty that seventy-two years ago today, I started my adventurous journey through life with absolutely nothing and I’m delighted to report that, today, I still have most of it left.

               

Quote;  Kitty Collins.

“Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life.”

10 comments:

Ripper said...

Happy birthday Mac, and may there be many more to come.

Mac said...

Ripper,
Thanks my friend and may I say I agree with everything you say...

A K Haart said...

Sorry - missed it by a day but happy birthday anyway.

Unknown said...

Too cool Andy and terrific hearing from you. Get over here to the US so we can catch up over a beer or two my friend. Merry Xmas to you and yours. Darrell

Mac said...

A K Haart,
Thank you. 27 would be 'happy'. 72 is lucky.

Mac said...

Darrell,
Hay! There you are! A beer or two? How many years has it been? Only a beer or two? I guess you mean truck loads, right? Stay well old friend.

Nomis said...

A belated happy birthday Andy. I've cracked open a bottle of beer and I'm toasting your health. Simon.

Mac said...

Simon,
A bottle? As in one? What have you done to the real Simon?

Nomis said...

Update... OK... It was the first of a dozen.

Mac said...

Simon,
Thank you for updating and authenticating your I.D.