8 Sept 2016

And Then, A Pen...

So, - no? Well, I’ve kept a pen and small notepad in the car for as long as I can remember but, in reality, it’s probably much longer than a week. Okay, I’ve tried those phone Apps but pen and paper can’t really be beat. I keep the pen in that little hole in the centre armrest that, I guess, is for keeping small change. You remember the days when you had small change to keep?

Well, - no? So, I was out and about, solo, the day before whatever day it was yesterday, had a thought, held it, - and how cleaver is that? - parked the car where I needed to be and made my brief note. Note duly noted, I got out of the car, made the required visit, returned to the car and proceeded to my next port of call.

During the drive I had yet another thought and again managed to hold onto him ‘till I arrived and parked at point two.

Guess wot? No pen. Foraging on the floor resulted in nothing but a gritty hand. Between the seats? Nothing. Did I, at port o’ call one, complete note one, stick the pen between my legs, forget it then exit car flipping pen out into traffic? What a bummer as it was a Cross pen an’ those fellows aren’t cheap. Cross pen gone, ex owner left jolly cross.

When I got home I did a full search of the car; under, between and back of the seats, under matts, in those door store thingies, and even the glove box - and why do we still call it that? Yup, the back as well and out of desperation, in the boot or trunk or whatever it’s called. All to no avail so just assumed my lap-flip to be the answer to poor ol’ Mr hot Cross gone.

And there the car sat, locked, ‘till this morning when I gave him a bath.

I soaped up the roof then moved down to the drivers door and this was when something shiny caught my eye inside and please treat what follows any way you like but wot I’m about to record here is absolutely true.

Wot caught my eye, lying dead centre, aligned pointing perfectly port to starboard, making not the slightest attempt to hide, was my Cross pen.

My first reaction was, ‘Hah, so there you are old friend.’ My second thought instantly following that was, ‘Whoa! Where’ve you been and how’d you get back?’ and my head instantly filled with the theme music from The Twilight Zone.

I have no idea what to say other than I did step back and check my immediate surroundings for the presence of blackbirds. None to be seen. There was, however, a raven in a tree close by and he, to me, sounded like he was laughing. I may sleep with the lights on tonight just in case he, or something else, comes tap tapping on my chamber door.

On second thoughts, my little nest of vipers won’t be best suited with that bright idea and, on balance, I do believe I’d rather face a pointy beaked bird or a cross ghost...

Quote;  Bess Truman.

“Now about those ghosts. I'm sure they're here and I'm not half so alarmed at meeting up with any of them as I am at having to meet the live nuts I have to see every day.”

No comments: