27 Apr 2013

And Then The Big Picture….

Last night I donned my script kiddie T-shirt and fiddled a with that HTML stuff.  Yeah, I know. Recipe for disaster. As has already been said;  Any fool can use a computer.  Many do.

What I wanted to do was make the new links over left the way, those wot link to YouTube an’ such, kick off in full screen. Okay, that was pretty straight forward for a coder such as I, as all I had to do was remove a little bit of code and replace it with /V/.  Impressed?  Don’t be. It was Google wot told me.

Then I thought, why stop there?  Why not auto start as well?  So with that in mind I made a start without stopping.

Google kindly provided me with another bit o’ code. Forget ‘/v/’ and use ‘_popup’ without those little sticky-up thingies at the front and back. I edited a test link and, Robert’s your mothers brother, it worked, so I proceeded to edit all the links to the outside world.

Now this is where it got a tad irritating;  I’d edit a link, save the link, test the link with success. It would open in a full browser window and start to play.  Move on, repeat, success.  Move on, repeat – you get my drift.

With all links edited and individually tested I made my exit from my side of the mirror and excitedly clicked a link from your side of the mirror. Click, into full screen, cool. Damn!  No auto play.  Bummer.

Find alternative code, step back through the mirror and repeat all above with same success. Again leave my side, regroup your side, click and auto start stops working.

Please be advised I’m still fiddling with this minor irritant for no reason other than I’d prefer not to be beaten by a beige box. Again.

How come it works like a dream when I’m on the ‘me only’ lonely side of the mirror but when I pass back to this side where we could all play with it, it refuses to work?   I’ll continue my efforts but probably with rapidly diminishing determination.

STOP PRESS.  Hang on a mouse clicking moment! Typed this, went to site, clicked link; full screen and auto play!!  Why not last time?  Why now?  How now?  Who cares? Sit back and bask in the warm glow of success.  However it was achieved.

Hope it works for any passing random clickers.

Quote;  Rick Cook.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.”

No comments: