31 Jul 2010

And Then There Was Drip, Drip, Drip….

You ever had one of these? A tap or shower that drips? I got one. The shower head started to drip, a really irritating one drip every twenty minutes drip. But that drip, falling from the shower head, took on the sound of a pistol shot at three AM o’clock in the morning. It’s then impossible to sleep as you have started timing it and waiting for the crack. And then you just give up and get up.

Decided I had to get it sorted, it’s not going to get better on it’s own is it? Well, is it? Sadly, the controller thingy, where I assumed all the washery and ‘O’ ringy stuff would be, is cunningly recessed into the wall and tiled over with just the on-off knobby bit sticking out.

Never mind; softly, softly, stoppy drippy.

I got the wench but she refused to have anything to do with it, so I got the wrench and with the wenches words of encouragement ringing in my ears, “You crazy? You know what you doing? Sure? This could end in tears. Make sandwiches, this may take long time,” I got started.

First rattle out of the box confirmed my concerns regarding water and leaks. Water off – drain – replace washer – water on – job done. WAIT, wait!! See small leak at pipe coupling – water off – drain - tighten coupling – water on – job done. WAIT, wait!! See small leak at next pipe coupling.
Repeat above for ever.

With only a couple of couplings to re-couple before I reached the end of the line I decided to take a break from re-coupling couplings for a couple of hours. I was glad I had the sandwiches as I had been re-coupling couplings for quite some much of a long time by now and then.

I must say that the spot I chose to take a break, and as a small indication of how stopping drips can have a quite dramatic ‘knock-on’ effect, gave a really spectacular view over the reservoir and the surrounding countryside.

And the drip? I was possibly a tad over excited at getting to the last coupling, the one that connects me to the reservoir; roughneck tight and one turn more was possibly ‘one turn more’ too many, and has, and this is spooky, resulted in a really irritating, one drip every twenty minutes, drip from the shower head, a broken wrench and a laughing wench.

Anyhoo, time for food after that long walk. Mmmm, smells like my ol’ favourite, squirrel au gratin.


Quote; Stephen Wright.

“I bought some instant water one time but I didn't know what to add to it.”

No comments: