15 Mar 2007

And Then We Went To York........

Went through to York for the day and must have picked the day with the strongest, coldest wind for a while.

Popped into the Jorvik Viking Centre. £7.50 a pop for popping in!! Didn't do the York Dungeon wax works this time. Talking of wax works, I ran into this piece the other day and thought it was spot on;

Madame Tussauds has been bought by the company that owns Legoland. So, the makers of countless model people with shiny yellow faces and simplistic features that all look the same except for unrealistic interchangeable hair, has been bought by Legoland.

Seems York is evolving into the eating capital of the north; restaurants, cafe's, coffee shops and fish and chip shops round every corner and down every alley. Hundreds of 'em. Nobody eat at home any more? Do they just do very good trade during the summer season or do they manage to make a crust {pun} all year round?

Just realized {realised} that I have been spelling nobody - 'knowbody' for years! With that kind of ability what makes me think I can right this Blog and get it write? Remember the saying 'Do knot put yore faith in spell chequers'? How true! I have problems with context too. Is context the right word? There's one!! to - too; hear - here; where - were, and so it goes on. Business is a word that's always worth a check for me.

You will note that these are all small words and it goes without saying that words requiring lots and lots of letters are a knightmare for me! As for punctuation, especially those little curly up-in-the-air thingies that go either between the last letter and an 's' or after the 's' depending on....... what? Well 'nuff said. I would be interested to here hear - hear here what words give you problems.

And then I found this;

I have a spelling checker.
It came with my PC.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot see.
Eye ran this poem threw it.
Your sure real glad two no.
Its very polished in its weigh,
My checker tolled me sew.
A checker is a blessing.
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
And aides me when aye rime.
Each frays comes posed up on my screen
Eye trussed too bee a joule.
The checker pours o'er every word
To cheque sum spelling rule.
Bee fore a veiling checkers
Hour spelling mite decline,
And if we're laks oar have a laps,
We wood bee maid too wine.
Butt now bee cause my spelling
Is checked with such grate flare,
There are know faults with in my cite,
Of nun eye am a wear.
Now spelling does not phase me,
It does knot bring a tier.
My pay purrs awl due glad den
With wrapped words fare as hear.
Of witch won should be proud,
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaws are knot aloud.
Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays
Such soft wear four pea seas,
And why eye brake in two averse
Buy righting want too please.

Amanda Selvaratnam

Any road on, the food was good, Russells on Stonegate, a third small mortgage covered it, but Lord it was cold outside; never mind, York is a beautiful {another word that I always have to check} town, whatever the weather; and always seems busy {that's another; it just don't spell anything like it speaks do it? Bizi - that's better.} and I guess that's why there are so many eating places of course.

Could be Singapore bound at the back end of next trip. It's been a while so looking forward to it. Singapore that is, not the shipyard.........


Quote;

"Sometimes you can't look up the correct spelling of a word in the dictionary because you don't know how to spell it"

No comments: